Pages

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Disability

Having written about the loss of disability benefits in my story 'Single File' and overseen the SEN and disability policy (and various rewrites) at school I'm now debating whether the after effects of my mother's stroke are considered disabilities. Does my mother have special needs herself,now, after years of working with severely handicapped children and young people? Is the paralysis down her left side temporary or permanent? Can she sit in a wheelchair without being able to sense her left side?

   We are so glad mum can speak, listen, recall and respond. We are so relieved she can at least swallow little meals. But, at nearly ninety, this massive stroke has taken it out of her. Mum is very tired. I try to read to her, show her 2 minute films on the ipad, and she enjoys it. She reads the headlines in the paper to me and reads messages in her cards-then falls asleep. Her body needs all the energy it can get to recover and repair, it seems.

   We are hoping we can find some nursing provision which means she can be at our homes for a few weeks at a time. Is this a pipe dream? I don't know but I think it's what she wants. She looked after folks most of her life and has rarely been ill - until now. Ninety is a bit late for learning how to be ill! But none of our elders have been in institutions for long. Mum did the caring - now it's her time to be cared for.

Pass the baton on. Pass the baton on.

1 comment:

  1. I looked after my aunt for 7 years. She had carers coming in 4 times a day, 7 days a week. District nurses visited for catheter care. I gave insulin injections, twice a day and monitored her glucose levels. There should be plenty of support in the community, also there should be a facility for respite. There should be a social worker at the hospital and they should undertake an assessment before your mom leaves hospital. It is their duty to ensure that a care plan is in place. Hope all goes well for your mom, and best wishes to all of you. Say hi to your mom from me. xx

    ReplyDelete