Pages

Saturday 21 December 2019

Hunkering down

Please excuse me for re-vamping the introductory paragraph to my post this time last year. My sentiments remain the same!

We have reached one of my favourite weeks in the year. It’s a time to look at the glittering displays in shops; Christmas lights twinkle and pretty windows cause us to pause. Baubles strung across Milsom Street, more like expensive jewellery than bunting, sparkle in diamond-white and ruby-red. 

The sun is shining - although there’s far more rain than this time last year, market crowds have gone and schools haven’t quite broken up - it’s the best time to go Christmas shopping. I’m meeting a friend for lunch and hitting a few, selected shops. 

When I’m home I’ll leaf through the ‘Radio Times’, choose my Christmas viewing and set the planner to record. And cut sprigs of holly. The tree is full of heavy, red berries. Despite the chaffinch family who nibble on them while our cat, Nelson, watches as if his life depended on it. 

Today and tomorrow Richard will be taking our last few cards round to neighbours and friends are coming for a merry mince pie and a glass. There are still one or two books I’d like to get as it’ll soon be time to hunker down for the festivities. But there’s time yet. Four shopping days until Christmas.

Today is the shortest day of the year. It was still dark at 7:00 am when Nelson jumped on the bed. He sat on me, purred loudly in my ear, managed to squeeze himself between my arm and the edge of the bed then crouched on my shoulder. And he’s a weight. Since then he’s had three portions of breakfast.

The heating’s not on yet: it seems very warm and wet for the start of Christmas. The lawns in the centre of The Circus are soaked, muddy and slippery. Even the Salvation Army moved their lamplit, outdoor carol singing event and everyone gathered under a roof this year. I’m carolling tomorrow - but inside a warm, candle-lit church. 

I am days behind opening my Advent calendar - that’s another treat in store. And then it’ll be time to tackle the slow defrost of the turkey. (We always get a frozen one as more often than not we are away and use our turkey at new year.)

However it’s all change this time around. A quiet Christmas beckons: ‘Carols from Kings’ on Christmas Eve followed by Alistair Sim in ‘A Christmas Carol’. I’ll read Mr Pickwick’s Christmas chapter from ‘The Pickwick Papers’ and prepare the various vegetables for our Christmas Day spread. After the meal, when we are full of Christmas pud, it’s round to the neighbours for Xmas tea.

Come Boxing Day ‘Little Women’ beckons but I feel the cinemas will be packed and we’ll forego ‘Nutcracker’ this year. A jolly walk may be in order.

I need to extricate my 1920s costume for a themed party, find Richard’s New York cop outfit and generally dress up to look very, very silly indeed.

It’s a time for frivolity, plenty of opportunities for something wet in a glass and lots of talk. 
The sales have already started and it won’t take much to rid me of my cash. 

We can forget about Brexit, politicians, the surge to the right and think of friends, family, the needy and all those working over the festivities to keep us fed, well and safe. 

It’s going to be a quiet Christmas with time to reflect rather than the mad dash north, fitting everyone into a hectic schedule.

Here’s looking forward to a cool yule. 
Happy Christmas y’all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment