Pages

Friday 31 August 2018

Food Blog Four - Carrot cake with almost everything in it

When I bake carrot cake I’m 99% pleased with the results. It’s always moist as I use olive oil rather than butter or margarine. The taste is good as the proportion of carrots to flour is just right and an orange - zest only - adds a little extra.

I made a gluten-free and sugar-free version around a month ago. That recipe used many eggs and pecan nuts. Needless to say it was drier and crunchier, the texture was tight but it was certainly eatable.

Last week I made a carrot cake ( again gluten-free and sugar-free) with an excellent texture but a dire taste. The proportion of fresh juicy carrots was wrong - leaving the cake tasteless - there was no orange nor nuts but an overwhelming taste of butter. Not good.

I am, therefore, returning to my original all-singing, all-dancing recipe.

This will have substitutions to render it gluten-free and sugar-free:

Equivalent of 6oz muscovado sugar - I use Truvia 1/3 cup + 2 tsp
6 fl oz olive oil
3 large eggs - lightly beaten
3 medium carrots - grated
4 oz raisins ( I have used sultanas or currants)
zest from 1 large orange
6 oz buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Frosting
2 drops Madagascan vanilla essence
6 oz full fat cream cheese
Add sweetener to taste


1 Pre-heat the oven to 180deg
2 Put sweetener into a large mixing bowl, pour in the oil,  add the eggs and lightly mix.
3 Roughly chop the carrots and peel and chop the orange zest. Put both in the food processer and
when pulsed stir into the oil mix and add the raisins.
4 In another bowl mix the flour, baking powder and spices and sift all into the oil mix. Stir all the ingredients until well blended.
5 Pour the mixture into a lined, oiled square tin.
6 Bake for 35 minutes until springy and a skewer or cocktail stick comes out clean.
7 Cool on a wire rack before icing


When I’ve baked it and done a taste test I will report back.But it has to be better than the tasteless buttery concotion from last week. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment